Friday, January 6, 2012

Surfing

So it turns out surfing waves in Japanese is:

Japanese: 波乗り
Reading: naminori
Meaning: surfing (waves in the ocean)
Literally: wave riding

But! I asked a Japanese friend if they use the same word for surfing the web, like we do in English and Hebrew and I assume other languages.
He said that this is only for surfing waves, so apparently they have a different word for surfing the web. Can you guess what it is?

Japanese: サーフィン
Reading: saafin
Meaning: surfing the web (and also waves)

Yeah, so basically they just use the English word for web surfing.
Kind of lame and uninspiring, but <shoulder shrug> I guess a lot of the computer terminology is taken straight from English.

2 comments:

  1. In fact, they use サーフィン for beach surfing as well... You haven't watched Densha Otoko all the way, have you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I did write in parenthesis "and waves as well".
    And I did watch Densha Otoko but it was a while ago and my memory sucks :P

    ReplyDelete